The IEB is an assessment body that is accredited by Umalusi, the South African statutory body responsible for quality assurance for school and adult assessments.
The IEB offers external assessment in accordance with legislation and Umalusi directives for schools registered with it at Grade 9 and Grade 12, at which point successful learners are awarded the National Senior Certificate and for adult learning from ABET Level One through to NQF Level 1.
CHARTERED SECRETARIES SOUTHERN AFRICA (CSSA)
Chartered Secretaries Southern Africa is the formal professional Institute for the enabling of corporate governance and company secretaryship as well as the expert commentator and thought leader in Southern Africa on governance matters. It is a recognised qualification for the accounting officer post required in terms of Close Corporation legislation.
CSSA is the professional qualifying body for Chartered Secretaries offering an international qualification recognised in more than 70 countries. The career-long programme of study comprises attainment of professional qualifications and requires continuing professional development (CPD), which ensures that members remain on the cutting edge of developments. CSSA represents Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland.
Umalusi Council sets and monitors standards for general and further education and training in South Africa in accordance with the General and Further Education and Training Quality Assurance Act, 2001.
Umalusi is currently reponsible for the certification of the following qualifications in general and further education and training :
• Senior Certificate (SC) - to be phased out by 2011
• National Senior Certificate (NSC) - Commencing by 2008
• National Technical Certificate (N3) - Phasing Out
• National Certificate Vocational (NCV) - Commenced 2007
• General Education Training Certificate : Adults (GETC)
In order to issue learners with certificates that are credible, Umalusi:
• Evaluates qualifications & curricula to ensure that they are of expected standard
• Moderates assessment to ensure that it is fair, valid and reliable
• Conducts research to ensure educational quality
• Accredits educational and assessment providers
• Verifies the authenticity of certificates